TABLE OF CONTENTS


Overview of the Collection

Scope and Contents

Arrangement

Restrictions

Index Terms

Detailed Description of the Collection

Geneva Hall,

The Middle Building,

Trinity Hall,

Durfee House,

President's House,

St. John's Chapel,

Buildings at Hobart and William Smith Colleges

Resource Guide



Overview of the Collection

Repository: Hobart and William Smith Colleges Archives
Warren Hunting Smith Library
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Geneva, NY 14456
Creator: Hobart and William Smith Colleges Archives
Title: Buildings at Hobart and William Smith Colleges Resouce Guide
Abstract: Guide to items in our Archives that pertain to campus buildings. Includes photograhs, manuscripts and letters.
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

Guide to items in our Archives that pertain to campus buildings. Includes photographs,manuscripts and letters.

Return to the Table of Contents


Arrangement

Arranged by building name, from oldest building moving forward in time. Photograph collection items, followed by Mss collection items.

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

For use only in the Archives.Access to the collection is in accordance with the policies of Warren Hunting Smith Library.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Persons:

Delancey, E. F.
Durfee, William Pitt, 1855-1941
Hale, Benjamin, 1797-1863
Kent, Norman, 1903-1972
Upjohn, Richard, 1802-1878
Vail, Charles Delamater, 1827-1921
Vail, J.G.
White, Andrew Dickson, 1932-1918, Class of 1858

Organizations:

Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Hobart College, Semi-Centennial

Places:

Geneva, N.Y.

Subjects:

Hobart and William Smith Colleges buildings
Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Durfee House
Hobart and William Smith Colleges, President's House
Hobart and William Smith Colleges, St. John's Chapel
Hobart College, Demarest Memorial Library
Hobart College, Geneva Hall
Hobart College, Middle Building
Hobart College, Old chapel

Hobart College, Trinity Hall
National Register of Historic Places
Students

Document Types:

Letters
Photographs
Picture Postcards
Stereographs

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Collection

Geneva Hall,
648 S. Main,1821-1822. Masons were Levi Judd and John Huddleston. Largely built and financed by the citizens of Geneva. It originally housed all the offices, chapel, library and student rooms. It is the oldest standing academic building in Western New York. Re plastered and painted in 1981.
Photograph Files,
h6a Class day exercises, 1896
h6a2 Class Day exercises, Early 1890's
F h6a3 Class day exercises, 1892
h6b Includes Middle Building, Merritt and Trinity Halls., undated
h6b2 After remodeling, 1929
h6b3 Includes cupla and shows old chapel, undated
h6b4 From south west, includes Trinity Hall, undated
h6b5 With cupola. Students and workmen shown, undated
h6b7 With cupola, 1976
h6b8 Includes cupola, undated
h6b9 Woodcut by Norman Kent, undated
h6b10 Stereograph by J.G. Vail, Between 1870-1885
h6c2 William Pitt Durfee study, circa 1885
h6c5 Postcard, includes Trinity Hall, circa 1990
h3c7 Main St. looking northwest, includes Trinity Hall, undated
MSS Files,
378.05 P 10/5/73 Placed on National Register of Historic Places: Press release, Sept. 1969
378.385 Copy of subscription paper for Geneva Hall, Feb 15, 1821
378.3855 Report of Building Committee, August 3, 1921
Q 378.4119 Letters from Professor Vail to E. F. Dalancey, November 9 and 10, 1885
Two letters describing Geneva Hall and Hobart College in 1840 to 1843.
378.49042 Student petition for inside doors and a lantern to light halls., 1867-68
N Declared national landmarks. [Pulteney St. Survey], September 1973
Letter Files,
Ay72a Explanation of plans, April 1, 1878
From Walter Ayrault, probably to Hobart Williams, enclosing President Potter's Letter, an explanation of the plans for Geneva Hall and some thoughts about Bishop Berkeley.
The Middle Building,
Between Geneva and Trinity Halls. Built 1835, burned 1885. Originally used as the first building for the Medical Institution of Geneva College. In 1846 refurbished to house library, recitation rooms and President's office.
Hobart Herald,
Vol 7, pg. 31 Gutted by fire on November 19, 1885, 1885
Vol. 8 p.134 Chapel became the Gymnasium, 1851-52, undated
Vol.13 p.148 First story and basement become chapel and lecture room 1843-43.,
  Photograph Files, ,
h1c Architect's drawing for proposed building, undated
h6b Includes Geneva, Merritt and Trinity Halls, undated
h10a Stereograph by J.G.Vail, undated
h10b Winter, undated
h10c After the fire. [students identified on the back], 1885
h10e When it housed the Medical College, 1836-1841
h12c Includes Trinity and Recitation Halls. By J.G.Vail, undated
MSS Files,
Q 92 N 514 Dig for Archaeology class. [Pulteney St. Survey, p 9-10, November 1984
Article about the dig at Middle Building site conducted by Ilene Nicholas for her introduction ao Archaeology class. Fall 1984.
378.41225 Letter with description, September 26, 1896
Letter from Isaiah McCollum, 1842, to Professor Vail describing the Middle Building, Literary Societies, Euglossian and Alpha Phi Delta, the portraits of Presidents Hale and Professor Webster, the old chapel and the faculty. The letter was inspired by an article in the Churchman.
378.4908 Letter to Alumni requesting funds to refurbish., 1874
378.49082 Discussion of the building. [Herald, vol. VII, No. 7 p 123-125], April 1886
378.49083 Pledge from Alumni to refurbish building., 1874
378.49084 Papers concerning the fund to refurbish the building, 1874
378.85 College history [Hobart Herald, vol 8, no.9, p 132-135, March 1887
Trinity Hall,
660 S. Main, 1837. President Hale was the architect and the major contributor was Trinity Corporation of the Episcopalian Church. A library was on the 3rd floor, otherwise it was a domitory. In 1876 ir was refitted and supplied with the modern conveniences... gas, steam etc.
Photographs,
h3c7 Includes Geneva Hall, undated
h6b Includes Middle Building, Merritt and Trinity Halls, undated
h6b4 Includes Geneva Hall, undated
h12 Front view, 1896
h12a Stereograph by J.G.Vail, undated
h12b View, undated
h12d Includes Recitation hall. Photographed by J.G.Vail, undated
h12d2 Picture postcard, c. 1980
h12e Physics laboratory, 1917
Phot Box h3c8.5 Picture postcard, c. 1950-1952
MSS file,
02 1976 Renovations, 1976
92 H13 1837 Benjamin Hale address at laying of the corner stone., 1837
378.05 10/5/73 Placed on National Register of Historic Places [news release], September 1969
378.49043 Student petition for inside daoors and a lantern in the halls, 1867-1868
378.85 College memoranda [Hobart Herald, V.8, no. 9, p. 132-135, March 1887
Alumni Files,
W582 White, Andrew D.H. 1858,
Program Files,
T Trinity Hall August 2nd, 1837
Order of exercises at the laying of corner stone of the South College
Letters,
1837.3.21 Memorandum giving estimates of building costs, March 21, 1837
Maps,
H Reproduction of plans for Hobart (Geneva) College buildings, 1837
Hale, Benjamin. Reproduction of plans for Hobart (Geneva) College buildings, as Presented by Benjamin Hale and the trustees to the Society for Promoting Religion and Learning in New York.
Durfee House,
639 South Main. Durfee house was originally built in 1790 as a land speculator's office on the foot of Colt's Hill on the southwest corner of Exchange and Washington streets. It is the oldest building on campus. It was moved to its present location c. 1831 and was bought by Benjamin Hale in 1844. After remodeling it, Hale sold it to the colleges in 1858. It became the President's house until 1885. William Pit Durfee and his family lived there while he was Dean. After the Durfee family left it became the Faculty House until 1976. Currently it houses the communications office.
Photograph files,
g13 e2 Durfee House, 1962
A) Photograph of the house. B) Photograph of the house after 1962. C) Photograph of the house. D) Close-up view of the plaque: Durfee House.
Durfee House which became the Faculty Club ca. 1962
g7 a South Main Street, 623, 629, 639,
g13 e Photograph of 639 Main St. Home of Prof. Otis , 1955
h3 f View looking south down South Main Street,
Includes Durfee House, Old Chapel, Geneva Hall, library and recreation hall (Middle Building), and Trinity Hall. Also includes horse and rider.
h3e 7a Photograph of drawing, looking south on Main St.,
The corner of Durfee House on the left and on the right, the Old Chapel, Geneva Hall, Middle Building and Trinity Hall.
h3c 11 Photograph of Hobart College campus, undated
South Main St. looking south with Durfee House (no. 639) on the left and Trinity Hall on the right.
  MSS files,
de Faculty House moved , undated
The Faculty House moved March 1976 from Durfee House, 639 South Main, to 616 South Main, now called DeLancy House, formerly the home of E.J. Cook.
Bu, Env. 1 Campus Houses, 1993
a project for First Year Seminar 133: This Place: The Built Environment, Fall 1993. Fifteen students studied eight houses on campus. Includes course syllabus and summaries of projects.
378.085 Hobart Herald, V.8, No. 9 p.132-135, March 1887
378.41182 President's House, Deed to Josiah Hale, 1840
378.4748 Resolution of the Board of Trustees to purchase 378.4748 Benjamin Hale’s home. , March 11, 1858.
92h13d Hudson, David. Letter to Benjamin Hale giving legal advice on the latter’s deed., Aug. 26, 1844
378.4122 378.4122 Indenture between the Trustees of Geneva College and Josiah L. Hale for lots no. 32 and 33 in the village of Geneva., July 21, 1840
Signed by James Rees, Chairman and notarized by B. Whiting.
Alumni Files,
R181 Rapalee, Edith Odell. WmS. 1945.,
Correspondence, campus building data, alumnae information, memorial benches, etc.
President's House,
690 South Main. Gallagher House. Became property of the College in 1883. Said to be the first house with pillars in Grecian style in Geneva. Became the President's House in 1884.
Photographs,
g 13j Residence of Mrs. A. J. Gallagher , 1858
g 13j2 President's house, undated
h 9 Gallagher house , 1858
h 9a2 Front of President's house., undated
h 9b President’s house., 1919
h 9b2 President’s house and Brent house. , 1925
h 9b3 President’s house with snow on the ground., undated
h 9b4 President’s House, front-close-up , ca. 1968.
F h 9b5 Photograph of the painting in the entrance hall, done by Mrs. Hirshson. , 1958
h 9b6 Photograph of Oriental rug used in Hirshsons’ living room., undated
h 9b7 Original woodcut with engraving and photograph of engraving and artist’s instructions for making the engraving, undated
h 9b8 Exterior renovation, July-August 1991
Eighteen color photographs.
h 9b9 Notecard with sketch of the President’s House ., undated
Caption: "A View of Our New Home at Geneva, New York" by R. Ruzicka.
h 9b10 President’s house with 3-D eyeglasses sculpture placed there by Professor Aub’s design class., March 15, 1998
h 4d4 image 2 Front view of the President’s house., ca. 1929
h 3s 1969b President’s house at night., undated
h 3s 1942n The Board of Control, a student government organization, meeting at the President’s house., undated
h 3s 1942o President’s house at night., undated
h 3s 1926h President's house., undated
h 3s 1917w President’s House., 1917
h 3s 1915f President’s House., 1915
h 3s c 1909x View of the President’s house from South Main. , undated
h 3s 1907i President’s House., 1907
h 3s 1977a image 3 President’s House., 1977
g 16a South Main Street , Geneva, N.Y., 1906
Photograph of 678, 682, and 690 Main St. presented to Hobart College, May 1906 by Amos Fleming of Geneva, N.Y.
g 14a President Potter’s Residence, undated
Mss files,
378.4748 2 Photocopy of article from Herald about history of the President's house., undated
378.85 Hobart Herald, v. 8, no. 9, p. 132-135., March 1887
ge La 2 A self-guided walking tour, South Main Street Geneva, NY, 198-?
A self-guided walking tour, South Main Street Geneva, N.Y.: an architectural gem of the Finger Lakes [by Corinne Stoewsand Carey]. Geneva Historical Society, [198-?].
Bu Campus Houses, 1993
Campus Houses, a project for First Year Seminar 133: This Place: The Built Environment, Fall 1993. Fifteen students studied eight houses on campus. Includes course syllabus and summaries of projects.
Invitation files,
PH 1991 Restoration of the President’s house , 1991
Invitation to presentation of the Eagle Plaque for restoration of the President's House, at the Geneva Historical Society. And article in the newsletter of the Geneva Historical Society, November 1991
Alumni files,
R181 Rapalee, Edith Odell. WmS. 1945., undated.
Correspondence, campus building data, alumnae information, memorial benches, etc.
  Letter files,
1839.3.15 R Peyton letter declines offer of trading property with Mrs. Gallagher, but making another offer. , 1839
Discusses prices and date of possession.
St48 1913 Langdon C. Stewardson to Gertrude Eaton , 1913
These letters were written from Stewardson to Gertrude Eaton, wife of Professor Elon H. Eaton, describing his wife's health and which items to move from the President's house and other matters of interest to Mrs. Eaton. The letters were given to the archives by Elizabeth Eaton White, daughter of Professor and Mrs. Eaton.
St. John's Chapel,
  636 S. Main, 1860-1863. Richard Upjohn, architect. Through the generosity and good offices of William B. Douglas the chapel was built at the cost of approximately $8,000.
  Photographs,
h 3c9, h3r.5 Stereoscopic view of South Main Street , 1870-1880
Stereoscopic view of South Main Street looking southwest, showing Saint John's Chapel, the Old Chapel, Geneva Hall (with Cupola), middle building and Trinity Hall. J.G. Vail 1870-1880.
h 11p Detailed view of the old alter , between 1956-1962
Detailed view of the old alter which was at the east end of the chapel. The reredos was painted by Eloise Wood, Prof. of Art. The priest was David A. Crump. Date between 1956-1962.
h 11q, h 11q2 Interior view with the altar at the east end of the chapel., between 1956-1962
Interior view with the altar at the east end of the chapel, and the pews facing north and south. The Rev. David A Crump facing the congregation. Date between 1956-1962.
h 11x Placing flag of Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, 1963
Oversize box #2.
h 11g Northwest view of St. John’s Chapel., 1896
Mss files,
92D64c Christ the light of the world, 1863
Christ the light of the world, a sermon preached at the consecration of St. John's Chapel, Hobart College, October 29, 1863… New York, Edward O Jenkins, 1863
Ch Hi History of the Chapel , 1962?
History of the Chapel and an explanation of the symbols of the altar cross.
ch Hi2 History of the Chapel , 1992
History of the Chapel and a description of its windows, art, etc. 1992.
cha St. John’s Chapel Stationary,
28.1 Letter from William B Douglas of Rochester to Prof Vail , Nov. 12, 1885
Letter from William B Douglas of Rochester to Prof Vail dated Nov. 12, 1885, giving facts about the cost of the chapel building, the benefactors and the architect (Richard Upjohn) and the consecration. Also, some facts about the chemical building and the chaplain's house.
28.12 Order of divine worship 1776, May 23, 1976
Order of divine worship 1776; sponsored by the Geneva Historical Society and Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 23 May 1976.
Program files,
cha 1980 Good Friday Liturgy. , April 5, 1980.
cha No Date Litany for the personal life, undated
cha No Date Liturgy of Eucharist. , undated
Various programs, including music by Lindsay Lafford.
Letter files,
1959,5,5 Letter to Pres Hirshon from the Shantz organ Co, May 5, 1959
Concerning a new organ for St. John's Chapel after the completion of St. Mark's Tower. Illustrations of organs included.